Code & Release Management
Code & Release Management
The development environment Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 makes it possible to modify and supplement nearly the entire program code. The Code & Release Management add-on module developed by Solutions Factory makes it possible to manage all modifications and releases.
- Which code modifications for which task?: Every code modification needs to be allocated to a task and for every task it must be possible to display all code modifications.
- Version control and traceability: All modifications should be documented in detail.
- Recovery: It should be possible to restore the most recent functional code status quickly and easily at any time.
- Release control: It needs to be clear which code modifications have been released in which system. It should be possible to summarize a release on the basis of the work items.
- Simple: The documentation of modifications and releases should entail as little time/work as possible.
Microsoft recommends the use of Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server (TFS) or MorphX Version Control System (VCS) for the management of code in Microsoft Dynamics AX – click here for details.
Team Foundation Server approach
- Work item integration
- Release control
MorphX VCS approach
- Integration in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012
- Common development environment
The Solutions Factory Code & Release Management add-on module provides full control of modifications and releases in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 and combines the benefits of the Team Foundation Server with those of the integrated MorphX VCS.
- Everything in a single system. Solutions Factory Code & Release Management is integrated into Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 and does not rely on any external components.
- So-called work items are allocated to all code modifications. On the basis of these allocations, all modifications are stored and version managed in a repository without additional work.
- By means of a release it is possible to implement and easily document several work items from the development system into the test or live system.
- A release overview feature provides you with a completely transparent insight at any time into the status of the application and the modifications en route from the development system to the live system.
Examples of use in code management
- Documentation and overview: Who has modified what, when and why?
- Documentation: Code modifications have to be allocated to work items.
- Recovery: Every code modification can be reversed at any time.
- Conflict management: Parallel modifications of the same code object by different developers are prevented.
- Version comparisons: Every code status can be compared with previous code statuses.
Examples of use in release management
- Documentation and overview: Who has released what, when, in which version and for whom?
- Creation: Releases are compiled on the basis of the preceding releases, in terms of both code modifications and work items.
- Version comparisons: Every code status can be compared with code statuses in other systems.
- Minimal additional work in connection with modifications and releases – as a result of full integration into the development environment.
- Version comparisons and the reversal of modifications – as a result of the documentation of all modifications and releases.
- Documentation of all modifications and releases – in order to answer the questions of who modified what, when, why and which versions were released for whom?
||If you would like to ask about personal online demos or prices, please contact us!